THE NES/FAMICOM STORY: THE 8-BIT REVOLUTION
Telling the full story of the NES/Famicom without repeating what has already been said in the past is no easy feat. And yet we made this our goal, while still covering as many of the details, dates, facts, and anecdotes as possible surrounding this machine that shaped a whole generation.
A machine that no one really believed in to begin with (even its own designer!) but which ended up conquering the world and making Nintendo leader of the fast-changing video games industry. How many nostalgic gamers and collectors still consider themselves part of the NES/Famicom cult, 30 years on from its launch? And what about its staggering and unprecedented sales figures? Almost 62 million consoles sold around the world! Sure, quantity doesn't mean quality, but the NES/Famicom managed both, with a plethora of iconic and unforgettable games. They are what made a legend of the machine, a legend we'll share with you across one hundred pages.
The electronics inside the NES/Famicom were revolutionary for the console industry. Much like the Super Nintendo Anthology, this chapter will focus on the technological innovations, all the components used, graphical and audio capabilities, sprites, scrolling, ports and of course the cartridges themselves. It also includes all the different accessories, peripherals, bundles, the R.O.B. robot made for the Disk System, as well as the compatible machines made by Sharp: The Sharpmicoms!
For this chapter, we have consolidated almost 1400 games released on cartridge, 1050 of which came from Japan alone! Of the 700 titles made for the NES, 670 were released in North America, while 'only' 343 were marketed in the PAL region; 33 of which were PAL exclusives (Region A or B). Some were even deemed fit for release back in Japan (like Road Fighter).The 199 games made for the Famicom Disk System are also analyzed and presented with their respective box art.
- The NES/Famicom Epic: From Its Genesis to Its Retirement
- The Entire Software Library – Over 1400 Games
- The Famicom Disk System Games Dissected
- 'After-Market' Games
- Unlicensed Games
- Canceled Games
- Collector's Editions
- The Heart of the Hardware
- All the Accessories & Peripherals
- All the Spin-Off Machines, Even the Most Obscure
- The Lost Bundles
NES/Famicom Anthology – Tanuki Edition
- Trim size: 8.50x10.5 inches (216x267mm)
- Cover: 4 pages, 4-color, Pantone, mat lamination, sport gloss UV varnish
- Paper Cover: Gloss coated, high density
- Inside: 550+ pages, 4-colors printed on 135 gsm gloss coated paper
- Binding: Hardcover, thread sewn, 2mm thick cardboard, head & tails, shrink wrapped